Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What a line

I just want to sing the praises of the clothesline of a moment.

It's one of the easiest ways to eco-fy your house. And, unlike many very small (and cheap! hooray) changes, it packs a pretty big punch. I like to put in a load of laundry every night (I'm lucky to have a timer, but sometimes I wait until I wake up to start) and line dry late morning until early afternoon.

I do one load of laundry everyday, unless it rains. I can take it down at noon, or if I'm busy, later. It doesn't matter because line-dried clothes don't wrinkle like they do in the dryer. In fact, I have some clothes that have to be ironed no matter how quickly I retrieve them from the dryer, unless I hang them on the line.

Alexander Lee, Director of Project Laundry List, was recently quoted here:
One dryer, he knows today, eats up to $100 or more in power each year while emitting up to a ton of carbon dioxide. Collectively, America's more than 80 million dryers annually burn 6 to 10 percent of all residential electricity — second only to refrigerators and the equivalent of 30 million tons of coal or the output of the nation's 15 least productive nuclear reactors.
Stop all that just by hanging your laundry. Lee has a new blog for his organization that gives tips, musings and news all about the clothesline. I swear by it!

No comments:

I'm a CEO