Thursday, June 26, 2008

The big green escape


I'm going away this weekend because A) I have a really incredible husband who understands a break is needed whenever I start contemplating selling the kids on eBay and B) I have a really incredible husband.

After I bought Amtrak tickets, I started thinking maybe I should have rented a car. It's about $80 cheaper than the train, and a lot faster.

That's before my incredible husband (he really is, and yes, I'll stop mentioning it) pointed out that with the distance I'm driving, it would actually be $20 more expensive if I drove straight there and back, was lucky enough to get a car that got 30mpg and gas prices don't go much higher than $4 a gallon.

Not to mention the missing relaxation factor I get from riding the train.

When traveling alone, a train is much more eco-friendly than either the car or plane (especially planes with one of the fastest growing sources of greenhouse gases), so it just makes sense to grab an iPod and a couple of library books to help decompress after a steady stream of "mommy, mommy, mommy" during the last six months.

Grist recently ran a list of ways to green your trip and it's definitely worth checking out. Another tip: I always drink a ton of water when I travel, whether it's by plane, train or automobile. Bringing a reusable water bottle helps cut down on plastic waste.

Train photo by sheilaellen

No comments:

I'm a CEO