Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Growing success


I think I've mentioned this before, or maybe a few times, but my thumb is not naturally green. So I super excited about my minor success this spring.

I grew lettuce (from plant) and radishes (from seed) in my new little garden. It turns out all the books are right; anybody can grow radishes. My 4-year-old, having helped sow the seeds, even ate some of the radishes she helped grow. And the lettuce was as tender and sweet as any at a farmer's market.

But I was a little disappointed it wasn't the BEST salad I've ever eaten. The stuff from my CSA farmer is just as good. I guess that means it's just as fresh, which is a good problem to have.

Now that the lettuce is gone and the radishes are thinning, I've planted peppers and tomatoes. I'm conducting a little tomato experiment by buying an heirloom variety from a farmer and some standard breeds from the hardware store to see which produces better. The heirloom plant, at $3, better do well to compete with the six-pack of Better Boys for the same price.

No comments:

I'm a CEO