Thursday, May 8, 2008

What's wrong with feminism?

Nothing! It's a movement that has allowed women as many choices as men. Many, many feminists probably think my decision to stay at home with my children is a poor choice, but I think that choice is up to family.

I believe the choice to work is not an issue women should be fighting, and judging each other, about.

In any case, a crazy right-wing columnist made the argument that feminism is bad for the environment. He cites two commuting parents (not to mention the nanny to which I say HA!) are taking to the road worsening climate change, something I'm pretty sure he doesn't a) care about and b) believe in.

But his argument is flawed. Women staying at home often drive just as far, or further, than their commuting husbands. Just yesterday in my local paper, one mom told the reporter she just can't cut back on the 12,000 miles she drives each year running errands and chauffeuring her kids. And most one-income families I know have the working-part driving the sedan while the home-part gets the minivan, or worse, the SUV.

But I should at least be thankful that the right is making the argument that driving is, in fact, bad on the environment.

No comments:

I'm a CEO