Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday recipes; or Fricipes


Could there be a more perfect spring dish than spinach salad? The greeny deliciousness. The bacon. The vinegar.

I just love it. But it also needs a perfectly cooked hard boiled egg, one of life's most perfect foods. For such a simple thing, hard boiled eggs can be hard to master. I normally end up with most of the egg going down the disposal with the shell or an overcooked yolky mess that works like cement inside my mouth.

But the following method seems to work well.

Put the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cover the eggs and let set for 10 minutes, remove the eggs and plunge them in an ice-water bath.

Just because I'm a huge pain in the ass, I must admit I actually don't do this because I am the lucky owner of an electric tea kettle.

I just plop the eggs inside, turn on the kettle (it turns off when it reaches a boil) and take them out at 10 minutes. If I don't break any, I make myself a lovely cup of tea as a reward for being so smart.

Run them under cold water as you peel to reduce egg-white waste.

No comments:

I'm a CEO